The lighthouse was added to Egmont Key in 1848 but was replaced in 1858 after several hurricanes damaged the original structure. The top of the lighthouse was removed in 1944 the top of the house was removed to install a new beacon. The lighthouse was manned until 1989. At the time the lighthouse was the last remaining manned lighthouse in Florida. The channel that passes the island is the main shipping route in and out of Tampa Bay on Florida’s west coast.
A small boat named "Uncle Gabe" is moored to a post in smooth water. This photo was taken at the Spanish Point Historical Site in Osprey, Florida. The site was an early pioneer home stead that was inhabited in earlier days by Native Americans.
A Pilot Boat crashes through waves. Pilot boats are used to ferry pilots that steer ships in and out of ports. The pilot has to jump from the boat to the ship when the ship is in motion. Ports require that a local pilot bring ships into port for safety reasons as the pilots are more familiar with local waters.
A tall masted sailboat is moored in calm water. Florida foliage visible in background. This photo of the "Lizzie G" was taken at Spanish Point Historic Site in Osprey Florida. As can be seen on the boat's stern, the boat is owned by the historic site.