The Franklin Building in downtown Tampa, Florida is most likely the city's second oldest building. Records are sparse, but it seems the building was built in 1895 and was originally a shoe store. Since then it has been occupied by everything from a ticket office for the railroad to a Burger King. Today it hosts a juice bar and spa.
Key West, Florida used car lot? This old truck adorned with stickers from around the world is outside a restaurant in Key West. It is symbolic of the Conch Republic's laid back, anything goes attitude.
While this particular standpipe connection is no longer in use, it would have been used by the fire department to supply water to the building's sprinkler system in case of fire. This was on the old Kress building in downtown Tampa, Florida.
An old house on the outskirts of Ybor City in Tampa, Florida. How or why this building is still standing is a tough question to answer. Someone thinks it is important. A sign on the front porch announces that security cameras are in use.
Old meets new inSan Juan, Puerto Rico. At one time San Juan was a walled city. Entry was gained through giant doors along San Juan Bay. Today much of the wall is gone, but many of the old buildings remain. Beyond these reminders of the past skyscrapers define the new San Juan. Front and center is La Fortaleza, built in 1533 to protect the city from attack. It was occupied twice, once by the British in 1598 and again by the Dutch in 1625. Once El Morro and the city’s other fortifications became adequate to protect the city the fortress became the governor’s palace. The building today has little resemblance to the original small fort it once was.
Two Tampa, Florida Icons built in 1926 are still in use today. The Tampa Theater hosts movies and other events on a regular basis. The Hotel Floridan has been fully refurbished and serves as a hotel, conference center and banquet hall.
Standpipe connections are used by fire department to supply water to a building's sprinkler system. This connection is on the old Kress building in downtown Tampa. The building was vacant at the time this photo was taken.