When a wall was built around San Juan, Puerto Rico, doors were built as the only way to access the city. Over the years those doors have disappeared. This is the last remaining door, an entrance from San Juan Bay into the old city. The huge entryway is a landmark of its own right. It is open most days so tourists can cross through the thick walls from the promenade into the old city.
Portrait view of Florida coastline featuring John U Lloyd State Park. Hollywood's North Beach Park, the fishing pier and the buildings of Hollywood and Miami are visible in the background. The beaches are located on the east coast of Florida along the Atlantic Ocean.
The Franklin Building in downtown Tampa, Florida is most likely the city's second oldest building. Records are sparse, but it seems the building was built in 1895 and was originally a shoe store. Since then it has been occupied by everything from a ticket office for the railroad to a Burger King. Today it hosts a juice bar and spa.
An old house on the outskirts of Ybor City in Tampa, Florida. How or why this building is still standing is a tough question to answer. Someone thinks it is important. A sign on the front porch announces that security cameras are in use.
Fort Zachary Taylor is Florida's southernmost state park. It was built in the mid 1800's as part of a series of forts designed to protect the southern coastline of the United States and played an important part in the US Civil war and the Spanish-American war. Located in the middle of an operating military base, it is undergoing restoration work. In this photo the flag is shown at half mast on the parade ground.
Old meets new inSan Juan, Puerto Rico. At one time San Juan was a walled city. Entry was gained through giant doors along San Juan Bay. Today much of the wall is gone, but many of the old buildings remain. Beyond these reminders of the past skyscrapers define the new San Juan. Front and center is La Fortaleza, built in 1533 to protect the city from attack. It was occupied twice, once by the British in 1598 and again by the Dutch in 1625. Once El Morro and the city’s other fortifications became adequate to protect the city the fortress became the governor’s palace. The building today has little resemblance to the original small fort it once was.