Taken in Sint Marteen in the Caribbean, this photo has been antiqued to give the feel of old sailing ships and the dangers they faced when close to shore. Because of the process there is substantial grain in the photo, a desired effect.
The lighthouse was added to Egmont Key in 1848 but was replaced in 1858 after several hurricanes damaged the original structure. The top of the lighthouse was removed in 1944 the top of the house was removed to install a new beacon. The lighthouse was manned until 1989. At the time the lighthouse was the last remaining manned lighthouse in Florida. The channel that passes the island is the main shipping route in and out of Tampa Bay on Florida’s west coast.