First charted by the Spanish in the 1500’s, Egmont Key is a small island at the mouth of Tampa Bay on Florida’s west coast. Since then it has had a storied history, serving as a prison for Seminole Indians following the third Seminole War and both Union and Confederate soldiers during the Civil War. During the Spanish American War Fort Dade was built to offer protection for Tampa Bay. Over seventy buildings were built turning the island into a tiny city including a hospital, theater and school. The island even had sewer, electric and telephone service. The fort was active until 1923. Today just the sidewalks and building foundations remain although sections of the fort still stand and are open to the public.